Monday, June 11, 2012


I am always open to trying new foods and from what I’ve heard from current volunteers there is a quite a lot of exotic foods to be had here in Cameroon, everything from porcupine, (not like the American type, they don’t have quills and is a delicacy here and usually served for guests), rat, dog, cat, monkey (bush meat), and many others. Today I had Antelope, which was incredible. My piece was covered in a layer of fat, not sure which part it was but it was quite tasty including the fat layer. It had been stewed in a spicy red sauce and was incredibly tender, served over a bed of rice with fried plantains. Another part of the Cameroon culture I have to get used to is that if you ask someone to go to lunch you are obligated to pay. I went home to drop my computer off after school and Francis was coming out the door, asked where I was going, and I nonchalantly told him I was going to meet up with some of my Peace Corps buddies to get some food and he was welcome to come along. Francis told us he would take us to a really good restaurant that was near by. We went off the beaten path down a little dirt road, came to a house and he yelled some French for a while until a lady came to the front door, greeted us with a smile and welcomed us inside. She told us the menu, which was either chicken or antelope, I of course ordered the antelope, and she said it would be a few minutes. I think she was making everything from scratch because we were the only ones in the place and I think the only customers of the day.  After 45 minutes or so she came with the platters of food and we all devoured our dishes, but not until I finished did it cross my mind that I would probably have to pay for Francis and started to get worried about not having enough money due to the exclusivity of the place. There were no checks, she just told us each the price and to my surprise and joy, the antelope was 1,000 CFA = $2.00 and the chicken was $1,500 = 3.00.  Together my bill with Francis was $5.00 and I had one of the greatest meals I have had yet in Cameroon. One thing our trainers have said is that we definitely won’t go hungry while we are in Cameroon, and so far I can attest to that.

1 comment: